This is what life looks like....in Leighland...

Saturday 16 February 2013

Mmmmmore mug cakes for muggins!

Yep, I definitely think I'm on a roll with these mug cakes!!

A recipe caught my eye just after the chocolate chip cookie mug cakes, cake batter ice cream from the delightful Chocolate Covered Katie.  Not only is it cake batter flavour, but its a teeny tiny 40 kcals per serving!!!!!!!!  Well holy cow, I had to have a go of that right?!

Well, only in Leighland could I think something like this would work for me.  As nomlicious as it looks in Katie's photos, I didn't turn out quite the same for me :-(  I've decided it's down to the rather expensive gadget she uses, the vita-mix.  I blended by hand and instead of this:
Image borrowed from www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com

I got this...

 
...kinda sucks in comparison huh?!

But the idea for cake batter flavoured yumminess was stuck in my head so I did the one thing I do best...I scoured pintrest for more recipes!!  

After a few more typical Leighland attempts, I struck gold!!  I found a recipe for funfetti mug cake from Wendy See Wendy Do.  I made 2 small changes with the ingredients et voila...

Ingredients:

2 tbsp plain flour
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp almond milk 
3/4 tbsp coconut oil (melted in the micro first)
2 drops vanilla extract
pinch of salt
sprinkle of sprinkles!!


All you need to do to master this delicious, light and fluffy sponge is mix all of your dry ingredients (except the sprinkles!) in your mug, then add the wet ingredients, stir with a fork until its nicely mixed then just as you're about to bung it in the microwave mix in the sprinkles and off you go on high for 70-80 seconds (850w)

I halved all of the quantities from Wendy's recipe and changed the milk out for almond milk and the oil for coconut oil that I melted in the microwave first. Almond milk really helps to enhance the 'cake' flavour and the Alpro almond milk that I is 48 kcals per 200mls and has 2.2g fat where as the full fat milk I used to use has 128 kcals per 200mls and 7.2g fat!!!  And the health benefits from coconut oil deserve a blog post all of their own! 

The only thing the cake is really missing is a bad boy topping so tell me, what would you finish it off with?





1 comment:

  1. an ice cold pouring cream.dont no any low fat 1s but

    ReplyDelete